Monday, October 13, 2014

You'll Never Walk Alone

"Walk on, walk on with a hope in your heart
And you'll never walk alone
You'll never, ever walk alone." 
- Elvis Presley "You'll Never Walk Alone"


I can't imagine a more fitting set of lyrics to describe the Walk to End Alzheimer's than those from Elvis Presley's "You'll Never Walk Alone." Thousands of people take part in Walks across the United States for hope - hope that a cure for Alzheimer's Disease will be found, and that by raising funds and walking together, we'll help find that cure.

My family has been walking since 2011, first in Lafayette and then in Anderson, when Mitchell and I moved to Noblesville. I've also been volunteering at the Indy Walk for the past 2 years. The Walk has a special place in my heart - it's the event that got me involved with the Alzheimer's Association, it's the event that helped me realize my passion for volunteering, and it's the even that aims to cure the disease that took my grandparents from me. 

Team Angel at the 2014 Anderson Walk to End Alzheimer's

I can't imagine a better way to honor my Granny's and Grandpa's lives than volunteering with the Association that vows to cure the disease that took them from me and my family, that stole their personalities and their memories. I was so glad that some of my ESA sisters decided to volunteer with me at the Indy Walk this year - I love that they were able to take part in an event that means so very much to me. 

Eta Pi is greeting and registering Indy Walkers

The Walk has also given me new friendships and opportunities to give back by getting involved with the Greater Indiana chapter of the Alzheimer's Association. I've gotten to know so many Association staff members that are just as passionate as I am about ending this disease. I found Blondes vs Brunettes and a whole group of fantastic young professional women who are dedicated to fighting Alzheimer's. 

Just a few of the awesome Association members I've gotten to know through volunteering

I really don't have words to describe the pain that Alzheimer's causes. It doesn't just affect the person diagnosed - it affects their entire family. Caregiving is often a thankless, difficult task - Alzheimer's patients often need round-the-clock care to keep them from wandering away, to keep them happy, to keep them healthy as long as possible. It's so very hard to care for a loved one that doesn't remember who you are anymore, and who may not even act like themselves anymore. 

My family adopted a team motto for this year's Walk, and we even had it placed on our team t-shirts - We Walk because love never forgets. Even in the darkest times of the disease, when even talking anymore is a problem, love never forgets. Even when I kissed Granny good-bye for the very last time, and her eyes opened and a flash of recognition appeared, and her hand squeezed mine, love never forgets. Even when Grandpa couldn't remember how he used to call me McGillicuty, there was still a hug for me whenever I visited because love never forgets


Every purple shirt, every Champions club medal, every message written on the Memory Wall, every Promise Garden flower raised high and spinning represents hope, love, and promise. A promise to remember, to honor, to care, and to fight until Alzheimer's is finished. And so I Walk until Alzheimer's is finished, and I know I never Walk alone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment